top of page
Private flood insurance quote house.jpg

We are a family insurance agency founded in 1968 specializing in flood and homeowner insurance for people who live near the water.

Lloyd's of London, a 330 year old insurance company, rated "A" Excellent by
AM Best provides the same coverages as FEMA, but unlike FEMA you can cover your dwelling for the full replacement value. We will compare FEMA's rates with Lloyds of London Insurance Company's rates. Many times Lloyds of London Insurance Company has a much lower flood insurance premium than FEMA.

Aon Edge - Private Flood Insurance 101 Fact Sheet


As a property owner, exploring your flood insurance options enables you to make informed decisions in protecting what matters most – your home, finances and valued possessions. When it comes to choosing flood insurance, today’s property owners have options. In light of recent flood map changes and extreme weather events that have hit the nation, homeowners may find they want more coverage than what is available in the standard policy offered by the NFIP.


Aon Edge delivers private flood insurance that works for you. It is a viable option for helping protect your home and valued possessions from the event of a flood loss because it….

Is designed to cover a range of residential properties – from higher risk and coastal areas where mandatory flood insurance purchase requirements apply to lower risk areas.

Is now being accepted by a variety of lenders of all types, allowing homebuyers to evaluate whether NFIP coverage or private coverage is a better choice.

Is available in expanded storm surge areas and offers optional coverages for additional living expenses plus food spoilage and swimming pool clean-up protection.

Allows up to $1,250,000 coverage for a building and $875,000 in contents coverage and offers deductible options

Is available at affordable rates. The average policy for a 2,500 square-foot home is about $1,100 annually

Has only a 15 day waiting period before coverage takes effect, compared to 30 days for an NFIP policy.

As a property owner, exploring your flood insurance options enables you to make informed decisions in protecting what matters most – your home, finances and valued possessions

Aon Edge.jpg

Aon Edge Insurance Agency, Inc. is a licensed producer in all states. (TX Lic# 15890) (CA Lic# 0E67797). All descriptions, summaries or highlights of coverage are for general informational purposes only and do not amend, alter or modify the actual terms or conditions of any insurance policy. Coverage is governed only by the terms and conditions of the relevant policy. Coverage availability may vary by state.

 Accurate information found as of 11/29/2021 at: 2021. Aon Edge - Private Flood Insurance 101 Fact Sheet. Texas: Aon Edge Private Flood Insurance.


This document was prepared by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help you understand your flood insurance policy. It provides general information about deductibles, what is and is not covered by flood insurance, and how items are valued at time of loss.


This document is based on the Standard Flood Insurance Policy Dwelling Form, which is used to insure one to four family residential buildings and single family dwelling units in a condominium building. There are two other policy forms:


  •  The General Property Form is used to insure five or more family residential buildings and non-residential buildings.

  •  The Residential Condominium Building Association Policy Form is used to insure residential condominium association buildings.


While the three forms are similar in many ways, there are differences as well. For example, the General Property Form does not provide coverage for contents in any building other than the insured building, and the Residential Condominium Building Association Policy Form contains a coinsurance clause, which provides for a pro rata reduction in the building claim payment if the building is not insured to 80 percent of its replacement value.

The NFIP's Dwelling Form offers coverage for: 1. Building Property, up to $250,000, and 2. Personal Property (Contents), up to $100,000.The NFIP encourages people to purchase both types of coverage. Your mortgage company can require that you purchase a certain amount of flood insurance coverage.


For information about your specific limits of coverage and deductibles, refer to the Declarations Page in your flood insurance policy. It’s also a good idea to review your policy with your insurance agent or company representative.

Two Types of Flood Insurance Coverage

Advantages of private flood insurance

Thumbs up.jpg

Higher building and personal property limits

Thumbs up.jpg

Shorter waiting period, approximately 14-15 days

Thumbs up.jpg

Customized coverage limits and deductible options

Thumbs up.jpg

Surplus lines product financially backed by A.M. Best A-rated carriers

Thumbs up.jpg

Private Flood Insurance may be much cheaper in many cases and sometimes 30-60% of the premium provided by NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program)

What is a Flood?

Flood insurance covers direct physical loss caused by “flood.” In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry. Here’s the official definition used by the National Flood Insurance Program.


  • A flood is “A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from:

  •  Overflow of inland or tidal waters;

  •  Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source;

  •  Mudflow*; or

  •  Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.” *Mudflow is defined as “A river of liquid and flowing mud on the surfaces of normally dry land areas, as when earth is carried by a current of water…”

Three Important Facts About Your Flood Policy

A Standard Flood Insurance Policy is a single-peril (flood) policy that pays for direct physical damage to your insured property up to the replacement cost or Actual Cash Value (ACV) (See “How Flood Damages Are Valued”) of the actual damages or the policy limit of liability, whichever is less.


1. Contents coverage must be purchased separately.

2. It is not a valued policy. A valued policy pays the limit of liability in the event of a total loss. For example: Your home is totally destroyed by a fire and it costs $150,000 to rebuild. If your homeowners insurance policy is a valued policy with a $200,000 limit of liability on the building, you would receive $200,000. Flood insurance pays just the replacement cost or ACV of actual damages, up to the policy limit.


3. It is not a guaranteed replacement cost policy. A guaranteed replacement cost policy pays the cost to rebuild your home regardless of the limit of liability. For example: Your home is totally destroyed by a fire and it costs $200,000 to rebuild. If your homeowners insurance policy is a guaranteed replacement cost policy with a $150,000 limit of liability on the building, you would receive $200,000. Flood insurance does not pay more than the policy limit.

Choosing Deductibles

Choosing the amount of your deductibles is an important decision. As with car or homeowners insurance, choosing a higher deductible will lower the premium you pay, but will also reduce your claim payment.


You can normally choose different deductibles for Building Property and Personal Property coverage. The deductibles will apply separately to Building Property and Personal Property claims. Your mortgage company can require that your deductible is no more than a certain amount.


Review the Declarations Page in your flood insurance policy for amounts of coverage and deductibles. Talk with your insurance agent, company representative, or lender about raising or lowering deductibles.

Reminder: Keep Your Receipts

While you are not expected to keep receipts for every household item and article of clothing, do try to keep receipts for electronic equipment, wall-to-wall carpeting, major appliances, and other higher cost items. Your adjuster will be able to process your claim more quickly when you can prove how much items cost at the time of purchase.

What is Covered by Flood Insurance – and What’s Not

Generally, physical damage to your building or personal property “directly” caused by a flood is covered by your flood insurance policy. For example, damages caused by a sewer backup are covered if the backup is a direct result of flooding. However, if the backup is caused by some other problem, the damages are not covered.


The following charts provide general guidance on items covered and not covered by flood insurance. Refer to your policy for the complete list.

General Guidance on Flood Insurance Coverage

What is insured under Building Property coverage


  •  The insured building and its foundation.

  •  The electrical and plumbing systems.

  •  Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters.

  •  Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers.

  •  Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor.

  •  Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases, and cabinets.

  •  Window blinds.

  •  Detached garages (up to 10 percent of Building Property coverage). Detached buildings (other than garages) require a separate Building Property policy.

  •  Debris removal.

What is insured under Personal Property coverage

  •  Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment.

  •  Curtains.

  •  Portable and window air conditioners.

  •  Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers.

  •  Carpets not included in building coverage (see above).

  •  Clothes washers and dryers.

  •  Food freezers and the food in them.

  •  Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500).


What is not insured by either Building Property or Personal Property coverage

  •  Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner.

  •  Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as stock certificates.

  •  Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs, and swimming pools.

  •  Living expenses such as temporary housing.

  •  Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.

  •  Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see Section IV.5 in your policy).

General Guidance on Flood Insurance Coverage Limitations In Areas Below the Lowest Elevated Floor and Basements

Flood insurance coverage is limited in areas below the lowest elevated floor (including crawlspaces) depending on the flood zone and date of construction (refer to Part III, Section A.8 in your policy) and in basements regardless of zone, or date of construction. As illustrated below, these areas include 1. basements, 2. crawlspaces under an elevated building, 3. enclosed areas beneath buildings elevated on full story foundation walls that are sometimes referred to as “walkout basements,” and 4. enclosed areas under other types of elevated buildings.

What is insured under Building Property coverage

  •  Foundation walls, anchorage systems, and staircases attached to the building.

  •  Central air conditioners.

  •  Cisterns and the water in them.

  •  Drywall for walls and ceilings (in basements only).

  •  Nonflammable insulation (in basements only).

  •  Electrical outlets, switches, and circuit breaker boxes. ● Fuel tanks and the fuel in them, solar energy equipment, well water tanks and pumps.

  •  Furnaces, hot water heaters, heat pumps, and sump pumps.


What is insured under Personal Property coverage

  •  Washers and dryers.

  •  Food freezers and the food in them (but not refrigerators).

  •  Portable and window air conditioners.

What is not insured by either Building Property or Personal Property coverage


  •  Paneling, bookcases, and window treatments such as curtains and blinds.

  •  Carpeting, area carpets, and other floor coverings such as tile.

  •  Drywall for walls and ceilings (below lowest elevated floor).

  •  Walls and ceilings not made of drywall.

  •  Most personal property such as clothing, electronic equipment, kitchen supplies, and furniture.

1 basement 2 crawlspace.JPG

Coverage limitations apply to “basements,” which are any area of the building, including a sunken room or sunken portion of a room, having its floor below ground level on all sides.

When a building is elevated on foundation walls, coverage limitations apply to the “crawlspace” below.

Elevated Building.jpg

Coverage limitations apply to the enclosed areas (lower floor) even when a building is constructed with what is sometimes called a “walkout basement.”

Coverage limitations apply to “enclosed areas” at ground level under an “elevated building.” An elevated building allows water to flow freely under the living quarters, thus putting less strain on the building in the event of flooding. An “enclosure” is the area below the lowest elevated floor that is fully shut in by rigid walls.

How Flood Damages Are Valued

The value of flood damage in the Dwelling Form is based on either Replacement Cost Value (RCV) or Actual Cash Value (ACV).

Replacement Cost Value (RCV)

Replacement Cost Value (RCV) is the cost to replace that part of a building that is damaged (without depreciation). To be eligible, three conditions must be met:

1. The building must be a single-family dwelling, and


2. Be your principal residence, meaning you live there at least 80 percent of the year, and


3. Your building coverage is at least 80 percent of the full replacement cost of the building, or is the maximum available for the property under the NFIP

Actual Cash Value (ACV)

Actual Cash Value (ACV) is Replacement Cost Value at the time of loss, less the value of its physical depreciation.


Some building items such as carpeting are always adjusted on an ACV basis. For example, wall-to-wall carpeting could lose between 10–14 percent of its value each year, depending on the quality of the carpeting. This depreciation would be factored in the adjustment.


Personal property is always valued at ACV

Special Considerations for Multiple Claims


Property owners of “severe repetitive loss properties” may be eligible for a FEMA mitigation grant for property improvements that reduce the likelihood of future flood damages. Property owners who refuse the grant money could be required to pay increased flood insurance premiums.

A property is defined as a “severe repetitive loss property” when it meets one of these conditions:


  1. Four or more separate flood claim payments have been made and each claim payment exceeds $5,000, or 

  1. At least two flood claim payments have been made and the cumulative payments exceed the value of the property.


A final note

This document provides general information about flood insurance coverage. However, please be aware that your Standard Flood Insurance Policy, your application, and any endorsements, including the Declarations Page, make up your official contract of insurance. Any differences between this information and your policy will be resolved in favor of your policy. If you have questions, call your insurance agent or company representative.



Most NFIP policies include ICC coverage, which applies when flood damages are severe. ICC coverage provides up to $30,000 of the cost to elevate, demolish, or relocate your home. If your community declares your home "substantially damaged" or "repetitively damaged" by a flood, it will require you to bring your home up to current community standards.


The total amount of your building claim and ICC claim cannot exceed the maximum limit for Building Property coverage ($250,000 for a single-family home). Having an ICC claim does not affect a Personal Property claim (up to $100,000), which is paid separately. Details about eligibility are in Part III, Section D of your policy.

Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in 1968 to reduce future flood damage through floodplain management, and to provide people with flood insurance through individual agents and insurance companies. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) manages the NFIP. As required by Congress, this document was prepared by the NFIP to help flood insurance policyholders understand their policy.

 Accurate information found as of 11/22/2021 at: 2021. National Flood Insurance Program Summary of Coverage. [online] Available at: <> [Accessed 22 November 2021].


"The Town Agency helped me get the right coverage on my auto and home insurance. A live person always answers the phone and everyone was so helpful. They have the lowest rates and even helped my mom get a better policy too. 

- Leo Yamhzi

"I've used the Town Agency for years and they have always been helpful. When I had a fire John came to my house and was a big help. I highly recommend them."

-Janet Cohen

"They saved me money and made changing my insurance a breeze. Keep up the good work guys"

-Jennifer Duffy

Contact Information

Phone: (516) 294-1000

Fax: (516) 741-6025

Text message: (516) 522-0387


1205 Franklin Ave.

Suite 102

Garden City, NY 11530


Thanks for submitting!

At our agency, you will have your own personal customer service representative to speak with when you call or visit our office.

bottom of page