top of page

Amityville, Long Island NY Flood Insurance Quote: Compare Quotes and Save Money

This aerial view shows the aftermath of a flood in Amityville, Long Island, New York. The damage is evident. Several houses are flooded, and there is debris scattered throughout the area. The ground is covered by water. The image is a reminder of the destructive power of flooding.
Cheerful helper woman bot standing and pointing to information needed to send homeowner insurance quote

Hi there, I'm Emma! Let's get you a great flood insurance quote online or you can call us at 516-294-1000

Please check any appliances or equipment located below grade in a basement or crawlspace

Amityville, New York: A Beautiful Town at Risk of Flooding


Amityville, New York is a beautiful town located on the shores of Great South Bay. It is a popular destination for waterfront property and boating enthusiasts. However, its proximity to water also makes it vulnerable to flooding.

Flooding is the number one natural disaster in the United States. It can cause extensive damage to property and infrastructure, and it can even be deadly. In Amityville, flooding is a serious risk. The town is located in a floodplain, and it has been hit by flooding several times in the past. (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). (2023). Flooding. NOAA. Retrieved from

That's why it's important for Amityville residents to have flood insurance. Flood insurance can help to protect your home and belongings from the financial impact of flooding. It can also help to cover the cost of repairs and rebuilding.

There are many different flood insurance companies available. When choosing a flood insurance company, it's important to compare rates and policies.

If you live in Amityville, New York, it's important to take steps to protect your home from flooding. Flood insurance is one of the best ways to do this. Contact us for a flood insurance company today to learn more about how you can protect your home and belongings.

The Town Agency is a family insurance agency founded in 1968. We compare flood insurance quotes from multiple companies.

Advantages of private flood insurance

Lloyd's of London, a 330 year old insurance company, rated "A" Excellent by AM Best provides the same coverages as FEMA. Unlike FEMA you can cover your dwelling for the full replacement value. We will compare FEMA's rates with Lloyds of London Insurance Company's rates. Many times Lloyds of London Insurance Company has a much lower flood insurance premium than FEMA.

Thumbs up illustration

Higher building and personal property limits

Thumbs up illustration

Shorter waiting period, approximately 14-15 days

Thumbs up illustration

Customized coverage limits and deductible options

Thumbs up illustration

Surplus lines product financially backed by A.M. Best A-rated carriers

Thumbs up illustration

Private Flood Insurance may be much cheaper in many cases and sometimes 30-60% of the premium provided by NFIP (National Flood Insurance Program)

Understanding FEMA Coverage

FEMA National Flood Insurance Program Summary of Coverage

This document was prepared by the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help you understand your flood insurance policy. It provides general information about deductibles, what is and is not covered by flood insurance, and how items are valued at time of loss.


This document is based on the Standard Flood Insurance Policy Dwelling Form, which is used to insure one to four family residential buildings and single family dwelling units in a condominium building.


There are two other policy forms:


● The General Property Form is used to insure five or more family residential buildings and non-residential buildings.


● The Residential Condominium Building Association Policy Form is used to insure residential condominium association buildings.


While the three forms are similar in many ways, there are differences as well. For example, the General Property Form does not provide coverage for contents in any building other than the insured building, and the Residential Condominium Building Association Policy Form contains a coinsurance clause, which provides for a pro rata reduction in the building claim payment if the building is not insured to 80 percent of its replacement value.

Three Important Facts About Your Flood Policy


A Standard Flood Insurance Policy is a single-peril (flood) policy that pays for direct physical damage to your insured property up to the replacement cost or Actual Cash Value (ACV) (See “How Flood Damages Are Valued”) of the actual damages or the policy limit of liability, whichever is less.


1. Contents coverage must be purchased separately.


2. It is not a valued policy. A valued policy pays the limit of liability in the event of a total loss. For example: Your home is totally destroyed by a fire and it costs $150,000 to rebuild. If your homeowners insurance policy is a valued policy with a $200,000 limit of liability on the building, you would receive $200,000. Flood insurance pays just the replacement cost or ACV of actual damages, up to the policy limit.


3. It is not a guaranteed replacement cost policy. A guaranteed replacement cost policy pays the cost to rebuild your home regardless of the limit of liability. For example: Your home is totally destroyed by a fire and it costs $200,000 to rebuild. If your homeowners insurance policy is a guaranteed replacement cost policy with a $150,000 limit of liability on the building, you would receive $200,000. Flood insurance does not pay more than the policy limit.

Two Types of Flood Insurance Coverage

The NFIP's Dwelling Form offers coverage for: 1. Building Property, up to $250,000, and 2. Personal Property (Contents), up to $100,000. The NFIP encourages people to purchase both types of coverage.Your mortgage company can require that you purchase a certain amount of flood insurance coverage. For information about your specific limits of coverage and deductibles, refer to the Declarations Page in your flood insurance policy. It’s also a good idea to review your policy with your insurance agent or company representative.

What is a Flood?

Flood insurance covers direct physical loss caused by “flood.” In simple terms, a flood is an excess of water on land that is normally dry. Here’s the official definition used by the National Flood Insurance Program.


A flood is “A general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (at least one of which is your property) from:


● Overflow of inland or tidal waters;

● Unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source;

● Mudflow*; or

● Collapse or subsidence of land along the shore of a lake or similar body of water as a result of erosion or undermining caused by waves or currents of water exceeding anticipated cyclical levels that result in a flood as defined above.”


*Mudflow is defined as “A river of liquid and flowing mud on the surfaces of normally dry land areas, as when earth is carried by a current of water…”

Choosing Deductibles


Choosing the amount of your deductibles is an important decision. As with car or homeowners insurance, choosing a higher deductible will lower the premium you pay, but will also reduce your claim payment. You can normally choose different deductibles for Building Property and Personal Property coverage. The deductibles will apply separately to Building Property and Personal Property claims. Your mortgage company can require that your deductible is no more than a certain amount. Review the Declarations Page in your flood insurance policy for amounts of coverage and deductibles. Talk with your insurance agent, company representative, or lender about raising or lowering deductibles

Reminder: Keep Your Receipts


While you are not expected to keep receipts for every household item and article of clothing, do try to keep receipts for electronic equipment, wall-to-wall carpeting, major appliances, and other higher cost items. Your adjuster will be able to process your claim more quickly when you can prove how much items cost at the time of purchase.

What is Covered by Flood Insurance – and What’s Not


Generally, physical damage to your building or personal property “directly” caused by a flood is covered by your flood insurance policy. For example, damages caused by a sewer backup are covered if the backup is a direct result of flooding. However, if the backup is caused by some other problem, the damages are not covered. The following charts provide general guidance on items covered and not covered by flood insurance. Refer to your policy for the complete list.

General Guidance on Flood Insurance Coverage

What is insured under Building Property coverage


● The insured building and its foundation.

● The electrical and plumbing systems.

Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters.

● Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers.

● Permanently installed carpeting over an unfinished floor.

● Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases, and cabinets.

● Window blinds.

● Detached garages (up to 10 percent of Building Property coverage). Detached buildings (other than garages) require a separate Building Property policy.

● Debris removal.


What is insured under Personal Property coverage

● Personal belongings such as clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment.

● Curtains.

● Portable and window air conditioners.

● Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers

● Carpets not included in building coverage (see above).

● Clothes washers and dryers. ● Food freezers and the food in them.

● Certain valuable items such as original artwork and furs (up to $2,500).


What is not insured by either Building Property or Personal Property coverage

● Damage caused by moisture, mildew, or mold that could have been avoided by the property owner.

● Currency, precious metals, and valuable papers such as stock certificates.

● Property and belongings outside of a building such as trees, plants, wells, septic systems, walks, decks, patios, fences, seawalls, hot tubs, and swimming pools.

● Living expenses such as temporary housing.

● Financial losses caused by business interruption or loss of use of insured property.

● Most self-propelled vehicles such as cars, including their parts (see Section IV.5 in your policy).

General Guidance on Flood Insurance Coverage Limitations

In Areas Below the Lowest Elevated Floor and Basements

Flood insurance coverage is limited in areas below the lowest elevated floor (including crawlspaces) depending on the flood zone and date of construction (refer to Part III, Section A.8 in your policy) and in basements regardless of zone, or date of construction. As illustrated below, these areas include 1. basements, 2. crawlspaces under an elevated building, 3. enclosed areas beneath buildings elevated on full story foundation walls that are sometimes referred to as “walkout basements,” and 4. enclosed areas under other types of elevated buildings.

What is insured under Building Property coverage


● Foundation walls, anchorage systems, and staircases attached to the building.

● Central air conditioners.

● Cisterns and the water in them.

● Drywall for walls and ceilings (in basements only). ● Nonflammable insulation (in basements only).

● Electrical outlets, switches, and circuit breaker boxes.

● Fuel tanks and the fuel in them, solar energy equipment, well water tanks and pumps.

● Furnaces, hot water heaters, heat pumps, and sump pumps.

What is insured under Personal Property coverage

● Washers and dryers.

● Food freezers and the food in them (but not refrigerators).

● Portable and window air conditioners.

What is not insured by either Building Property or Personal Property coverage


● Paneling, bookcases, and window treatments such as curtains and blinds.

● Carpeting, area carpets, and other floor coverings such as tile.

● Drywall for walls and ceilings (below lowest elevated floor).

● Walls and ceilings not made of drywall.

● Most personal property such as clothing, electronic equipment, kitchen supplies, and furniture.

Different foundation types including basement, crawlspace, elevated building, and enclosure in one picture

1.Basement: Coverage limitations apply to “basements,” which are any area of the building, including a sunken room or sunken portion of a room, having its floor below ground level on all sides.

2. Crawlspace: When a building is elevated on foundation walls, coverage limitations apply to the “crawlspace” below

3. Elevated building on full story foundation walls: Coverage limitations apply to the enclosed areas (lower floor) even when a building is constructed with what is sometimes called a “walkout basement.”

4. Elevated building with enclosure: Coverage limitations apply to “enclosed areas” at ground level under an “elevated building.” An elevated building allows water to flow freely under the living quarters, thus putting less strain on the building in the event of flooding. An “enclosure” is the area below the lowest elevated floor that is fully shut in by rigid walls.

How Flood Damages Are Valued

The value of flood damage in the Dwelling Form is based on either Replacement Cost Value (RCV) or Actual Cash Value (ACV).

Replacement Cost Value (RCV)


Replacement Cost Value (RCV) is the cost to replace that part of a building that is damaged (without depreciation). To be eligible, three conditions must be met:

1. The building must be a single-family dwelling, and 2. Be your principal residence, meaning you live there at least 80 percent of the year, and

3. Your building coverage is at least 80 percent of the full replacement cost of the building, or is the maximum


Actual Cash Value (ACV)


Actual Cash Value (ACV) is Replacement Cost Value at the time of loss, less the value of its physical depreciation.

Some building items such as carpeting are always adjusted on an ACV basis. For example, wall-to-wall carpeting could lose between 10–14 percent of its value each year, depending on the quality of the carpeting. This depreciation would be factored in the adjustment.

Personal property is always valued at ACV.

Special Considerations for Multiple Claims


Property owners of “severe repetitive loss properties” may be eligible for a FEMA mitigation grant for property improvements that reduce the likelihood of future flood damages. Property owners who refuse the grant money could be required to pay increased flood insurance premiums. A property is defined as a “severe repetitive loss property” when it meets one of these conditions:


1. Four or more separate flood claim payments have been made and each claim payment exceeds $5,000, or


2. At least two flood claim payments have been made and the cumulative payments exceed the value of the property

A final note


This document provides general information about flood insurance coverage. However, please be aware that your Standard Flood Insurance Policy, your application, and any endorsements, including the Declarations Page, make up your official contract of insurance. Any differences between this information and your policy will be resolved in favor of your policy. If you have questions, call your insurance agent or company representative.



Most NFIP policies include ICC coverage, which applies when flood damages are severe. ICC coverage provides up to $30,000 of the cost to elevate, demolish, or relocate your home. If your community declares your home "substantially damaged" or "repetitively damaged" by a flood, it will require you to bring your home up to current community standards.


The total amount of your building claim and ICC claim cannot exceed the maximum limit for Building Property coverage ($250,000 for a single-family home). Having an ICC claim does not affect a Personal Property claim (up to $100,000), which is paid separately. Details about eligibility are in Part III, Section D of your policy.

Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) in 1968 to reduce future flood damage through floodplain management, and to provide people with flood insurance through individual agents and insurance companies. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) manages the NFIP. As required by Congress, this document was prepared by the NFIP to help flood insurance policyholders understand their policy.

New Hampshire Insurance Department. (2023, March 8). Summary of flood insurance coverage. Retrieved from


"The Town Agency helped me get the right coverage on my auto and home insurance. A live person always answers the phone and everyone was so helpful. They have the lowest rates and even helped my mom get a better policy too. 

- Leo Yamhzi

"I've used the Town Agency for years and they have always been helpful. When I had a fire John came to my house and was a big help. I highly recommend them."

-Janet Cohen

"They saved me money and made changing my insurance a breeze. Keep up the good work guys"

-Jennifer Duffy

Contact Information

Phone: (516) 294-1000

Fax: (516) 741-6025

Text message: (516) 522-0387


1205 Franklin Ave.

Suite 102

Garden City, NY 11530


Thanks for submitting!

At our agency, you will have your own personal customer service representative to speak with when you call or visit our office.

bottom of page